Hundred-year-old cultures give birth to communities, being transmitted through rhymes of those who are narrating it and interpreting the past through wisdom. One’s accomplishments result from rituals and metamorphosis, bonding the human being to its own roots through dance, history, music, colors, flavors, materials and landscapes. Space and matter relate themselves to the power of rituals, drawing together the lines of an architecture encharged of passing and preserving history.
The planning of a Cultural Center for the city of Sedhiou aims to renovate the identity of the area, trying to reach the goal of creating a location where local cultures may have the chance to be told, passed on and preserved. This challenge sees the planning of an architectural structure as the witness of the peaceful relation occurring among local ethnic groups and promoting, at the same time, preservation of local habits. The competitor will show this theme through a surprising and integrated design at once, developing a structure destined to be an icon for the entire country, without weighing on the surrounding environment.
The internationally jury is composed of:
- Early registration – from 15 January to 13 February 2018
- Normal registration from 14 February to 10 March 2018
- Late registration – 11 March to 4 April, 2018
- Competitions deadline – April 25 ,
- 2018 Winners announced – 20 May 2018
- 1st Place: € 2,500 + Internship at Kengo Kuma Associates at Tokyo Office+ Publication + Exposure
- 2nd Place: € 1,000 + Publication + Exposure
- 3rd Place: € 500 + Publication + Exposure
- 2 honorable mentions: € 150 + Publication + Exposure
- 5 mentions: Publication + Exposure
- 10 finalist: Publication + Exposure
All the awarded proposals will be transmitted to architectural magazines and websites, as well as in international exhibitions.
You can find out and download more information about the competition on the official website.